HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
The domain www.kitopen.com will expire on 2018-08-17. Update your bookmarks to point at http://kito.forumotion.com/
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Preset selection discussion

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hamilton

Hamilton

Game username : Hamilton
Server : Myatar Legends // Dragon's Den
Female Posts : 401

Preset selection discussion Empty
PostSubject: Preset selection discussion   Preset selection discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2015 7:47 pm

This idea originally got brought up by Nowe in another suggestions thread. That thread is 2 years old now. I did not want to revive something that old, nor hijack someones thread. You can find the original mention here.

I'd like to discuss (and at some point succeed in coding) the re-introduction of a preset selector to the IT code.

As mentioned in the previously linked thread: An older version of IT (versions 1-3) had an extra page to the creation options.

Hitting "New" for creating a character would bring you to a page with two options on it.

"Custom" - which leads to the current creation pages
"Preset" - which leads to a form of the edit-pages that players with presets will be familiar with.

Naturally, that triggered an extra option in the preset area that allowed players to browse through the presets in the game and select one for their character to wear.

HOWEVER. It pulled it's information from an non-encrypted list. Every single preset was able to be chosen and a lot of players would have their presets effectively stolen. Not an altogether perfect system, clearly. And probably a reason why the method got scrapped.

I propose that it be returned. WITH CHANGES

What I'm suggesting is this:

Set the game to recognize the presets in 2 separate ways.

While in creation mode, let the game search for any preset that is made available to it via the same un-encrypted form.

[name]
username_characternameMAT.material

So that players can easily add their presets to the list and apply them without the aid of a server admin editing the character data files. Freebie presets can be included to this list as well. For...reasons.

This is all client-side business, since the character doesn't exist till you complete the process and save it.

Next, changing (or maybe not since it's already set this way) what file the game looks in for OTHER PLAYERS presets. The setting is pulled from the server data, telling the game to look in the predetermined .dat file. Which should not be accessible to players for altering/reading.

Somehow, the game should throw an error if a users own preset they are trying to apply, if said preset is -only- found within the .dat file.

So that...let's say we have 3 players.

Player 1 would like to assign a preset they made.
The game finds its material in the presets folder and displays it properly in the creation menu.
Player 1's preset is not in the .dat file, so once the character is made, it displays base-white.
No other players can see Player 1's preset.

Player 2 would also like to assign a preset they made.
Player 2 already sent their preset to be added to the .dat file and the game was recently update to include it.
The game finds its material in the presets folder and displays it properly.
Player 2's preset will also properly display after the character is made.
Players who updated their game can see Player 2's preset.

Player 3 is very shady. They'd like Player2's preset for themselves.
Player 3 thinks they are clever and adds Player 2's material settings to their own preset list.
Player 3, however, lacks the actual .material file and textures.
When Player 3 tries to save the character, the game halts them and throws an alert.
"This preset is already assigned to another user" or something similar.

I'm sure I missed something important in there somewhere. Such as preventing the player 3 types from just prying open the .dat and pulling what they need out of it to make the alert/error go away. That's a lot of work for to steal a preset... And I'm sure the encryption can also be implemented to further dissuade such actions.

It might effect the freebie presets I mentioned before. Owners would have to include those files outside the .dat file. This can negatively effect the size of the game and possibly donators of freebie presets wouldn't like that users would have access to modify them.

I suppose another method would be for linking preset selection through the server. Where the server admin would have a new user file called "allowed presets" in which they can add all the presets that player can have access to. This, however, still puts the burden of preset adding on the server admin.

I've fiddled around with the pages enough, it's just creating that branching page I'm a little sketchy about. And designating the proper linking needed...oh man...I have no idea what I'm doing already that that is just @.@;;;;;

Thoughts? HALP? lol
Back to top Go down
FagonStar

FagonStar

Game username : FagonStar
Server : Impressive Whatchamacallit
Female Posts : 1060

PostSubject: Re: Preset selection discussion   Preset selection discussion I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2015 9:41 pm

I think this is a great idea! Bringing back the preset selector would make applying presets at least slightly easier. :3

About freebie presets, maybe you could have a file specifically designated as a .dat(or something) where presets are allowed to be accessed without the material and textures being present in the actual game copy. I don't know if it would work, but I figure it's at least worth suggesting.
Back to top Go down
Nala_91
Texture Artist
Texture Artist
Nala_91

Game username : Nala_91
Server : Royal Skies
Female Posts : 131

PostSubject: Re: Preset selection discussion   Preset selection discussion I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 2:15 pm

This could work well with free presets, that way users could easily select them.
Back to top Go down
Myz
Coder
Coder

Server : Last Moon(http://lastmoon.org), Dawn of Eternity(http://dawn-of-eternity.com)

PostSubject: Re: Preset selection discussion   Preset selection discussion I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 9:26 am

I've remade most of the preset system. I'll give some basic info about how my new one works.

There's two types of presets, local and server ones.

We'll start with local ones you can create and apply a local preset to any of your character at any time, creating a basic preset has also been made easier so pretty much anyone can do it now. Because the preset is local only it won't be visible to other people, they'll just see you the way you made your char in the editor before you added the preset. You can send and share your local presets with friends if you want them to be able to see it.

A local preset can be sent in to be encrypted and added to the server, once it's been added to the server an option becomes available on the owners control panel on the website where they can select between their presets or disable them.

When another player meets someone who has a server preset enabled it will start downloading in the background and the next time they see that player again they'll be able to see the preset, assuming the download has finished.

This means no presets are included with the game download which keeps the size down, you also don't have a bunch of presets lying around from people who stopped playing long ago. It also means presets can be added to the server at any time and be instantly available.

Back to top Go down
CrystalxLuke

CrystalxLuke

Female Posts : 48

PostSubject: Re: Preset selection discussion   Preset selection discussion I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 1:56 am

Would you be willing to make this code public, Myz? Just curious.
Back to top Go down
Myz
Coder
Coder

Server : Last Moon(http://lastmoon.org), Dawn of Eternity(http://dawn-of-eternity.com)

PostSubject: Re: Preset selection discussion   Preset selection discussion I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 6:38 pm

CrystalxLuke wrote:
Would you be willing to make this code public, Myz? Just curious.
It can't really be shared since it requires a webserver and is tied into my website, the local part could maybe be shared but I can't be bothered.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preset selection discussion   Preset selection discussion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Preset selection discussion
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: GENERAL :: Suggestions-
Jump to: