HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

Great Sites to Learn Computer Science and Programming *UPDATE 4/22/17*

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Arkhon

Game username : Arkhon
Female Posts : 14

PostSubject: Great Sites to Learn Computer Science and Programming *UPDATE 4/22/17*   Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:59 am

Hello!

It's been a very long time since I have ever stepped foot in the forum for a variety of reasons (of which include school).  However, for the past year or so that I've been gone, I've realized that many of my peers (both IRL and online) have partook and interest in computer science and programming.  Although I in no way claim to be a master in this trade, I am learning at a very intense rate and have encouraged many others to follow along in my path.  Thus, my aim (at least as of the time of writing) is to provide everyone with some very great resources to begin your journey in this constantly broadening subject.

As such, I am willing to update this list if need be.

Necessary to run a server?:

Free Online Courses

• ComputerScienceOnline (provides a master list of courses from MIT OpenCourseWare, Harvard Extension, Stanford and the like)
    Necessary to run a server?: Maybe (knowledge of computer science and scripting is helpful)
  • edX (Both free and paid courses)
    Necessary to run a server?: Maybe (depends on the course)
  • Coursera (Both free and paid courses)
  • Codecademy (Both free and paid courses)
  • Alison (Both free and paid courses)
  • Khan Academy (Completely free and a pretty amazing resource)
    Necessary to run a server?: No (teaches JavaScript, HTML, CSS only. Has a limited computer science course catalog)
  • Udemy (Both free and paid courses)
  • The Odin Project (Free boot camp; focusing mainly on web development)
    Necessary to run a server?: No (for web development)
  • SoloLearn (Teaches languages like C++. C#, and Python)

Resources, Documentation, Tutorials and References

• CPlusPlus (A language you should learn, as it is very popular and quite effective, especially for Impressive Title server owners, as the source is comprised of C++)
    Necessary to run a server?: Yes (C++ is the primary language of the IT source code and it is extremely important to at least have a standard grasp of the language)
  • Python Documentation (Python is a great scripting language and I recommend you start out with it)
    Necessary to run a server?: Maybe (Python syntax is a bit easier to swallow for beginners just learning to code)
  • W3Schools (Great for learning markup languages such as HTML, XML, XHTML, CSS and scripting languages like JavaScript)
    Necessary to run a server?: No (Web development only)
  • aGupieWare (a good documentation website and starting point)

Testing

• Coding Bat (for Java and Python)

Youtube Channels/Videos

• TheHappieCat (Lovely person and lovely resource)
    Necessary to run a server?: Maybe (has many videos describing computer science and programming in games)
  • Derek Banas (Presents information in a very easy-to-digest manner)
    Necessary to run a server?: Maybe (depends on the video and language)
  • Eli the Computer Guy (has many amazing tutorials, especially on TCP/IP networking]
    Necessary to run a server?: Maybe (the videos on TCP/IP networking are incredibly fascinating and may help you understand what goes on when your server runs)
  • Crash Course (Has a very interesting Computer Science playlist that is being constantly updated)
    Necessary to run a server?: Maybe (again, videos on computer science, but not so much programming)

If you have any other websites, please contribute! I want to expand the list as much as possible so that everyone can see and everyone is presented with the opportunity to learn to code.

Last edited by Arkhon on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tigg

Game username : Tigg
Server : Impressive Title by Tigg
Female Posts : 122

PostSubject: Re: Great Sites to Learn Computer Science and Programming *UPDATE 4/22/17*   Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:23 pm

As a total noob in codes and scripts i apreciate your list but have also a question.

Could you add the "need" of every link/site you postet?
Like, do i need html for IT and if so what part of the game does learning this cover the game-part?

As xou sed C++ for server needet, whats all the oter needet for? Python i guess for Blender?

I hope you can catch the point Very Happy

Thanks for your awesomness!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tiggcreations.com
Arkhon

PostSubject: Re: Great Sites to Learn Computer Science and Programming *UPDATE 4/22/17*   Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:45 pm

@Tigg;
I certainly could give a list of all the languages needed for servers!
To answer some questions straight up,
C++ is the language used in the source code before compiling, especially with the Ogre3D engine that it is built on, and it is probably among the more popular and otherwise complex languages you can learn.
HTML is, in fact, not a programming language, but a markup language, which is used to “markup” text into data that web browsers can read. Thus, HTML is a language used only for websites, as well as other languages like PHP, CSS and XML. This being said, these are among the easier languages you can learn. This is why I recommend that people start out with a scripting or markup language as they are generally more comprehensible than a programming language like C++ when you’re just starting out.
As for Blender and Python, Blender was built off of Python script, and yes, it is a very good language to learn if you want to get into the “technical” side of Blender as well as running other scripts on top of that.

I will edit the list shortly! I also hope you find my explanations helpful!
Back to top Go down
RedEye
Retired

Game username : -redeye-
Server : KITO
Male Posts : 2583

PostSubject: Re: Great Sites to Learn Computer Science and Programming *UPDATE 4/22/17*   Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Arkhon wrote:

As for Blender and Python, Blender was built off of Python script, and yes, it is a very good language to learn if you want to get into the “technical” side of Blender as well as running other scripts on top of that.

Blender itself is 56% C, 36% C++, 5% Python

PostSubject: Re: Great Sites to Learn Computer Science and Programming *UPDATE 4/22/17*   Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:34 pm

@RedEye

My bad; thanks for correcting me!
Back to top Go down
Tigg

Game username : Tigg
Server : Impressive Title by Tigg
Female Posts : 122

PostSubject: Re: Great Sites to Learn Computer Science and Programming *UPDATE 4/22/17*   Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:56 pm

Arkhon wrote:
@Tigg;

I will edit the list shortly! I also hope you find my explanations helpful!

DEFINITELY! Yes, thank you Smile

So c++ = for Server
HTML = for Website

I get it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.tiggcreations.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great Sites to Learn Computer Science and Programming *UPDATE 4/22/17*   

Back to top Go down

Great Sites to Learn Computer Science and Programming *UPDATE 4/22/17*
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: GENERAL :: Discussion :: Off-Topic-
Jump to: