HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
The domain www.kitopen.com will expire on 2018-08-17. Update your bookmarks to point at http://kito.forumotion.com/
Meet the new KITO admins & hear their plans here.
You can use google search to find threads and posts here now. Example

Share | 

Some concerns about safety with running a server.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dragula

Male Posts : 8

PostSubject: Some concerns about safety with running a server.   Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:07 am

Hello there. IT games have been such a big part of my childhood. I've had so much fun playing on a lot of different servers. And for the longest time, my dream has been to make my own, small and private server, for myself and friends.

However, I have a lot of concerns.
Setting up the server is actually very easy. I've done it before. What troubles me is what happens after I'll have to port forward or w/e it is called, so that I can make the server available to my friends. From the research I've done on port forwarding, I've seen that some people say it's safe, but others say it may possibly make you more vulnerable to infections and hackers. And I'm leaning more to that belief. Something about it just sounds... Dangerous. I just want to be able to be creative, and create a nice virtual world for myself and others to enjoy. But I also don't want any trouble that I didn't even ask for.

Something else that troubles me, is the fact that so many of the links to downloadable content, such as items and creature models on KITO, seems to lead to the annoying and malicious Ad.fly page before it takes me to the real download page. I am aware that Ad.fly is a way for the artists to possibly make some money, depending on how many people click the link, but as I said before, it is well known that Ad.fly IS malicious. it requires me to turn off my adblocker, which is something I wouldn't dream of doing.

It is very reasonable for artists to want to make profit out of their work. But that's what deviantart exists for. I've seen plenty of people sell their things on deviantart instead. Which is safer. Why not do that, instead of trusting a site that is basically malware and could harm other people?

Back to top Go down
Hyper
Admin

Game username : Hyper
Server : Azoptaos
Male Posts : 560

PostSubject: Re: Some concerns about safety with running a server.   Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:05 am

im not sure what your question is? port forwarding is used for almost any game server setup, and yeah, maybe if someone is actively trying to hack you it may be easier, but that seems unrealistic unless you have people after you, lol. and the adfly links arent being added by people, theyre automatically added by forumotion unless you pay to have it ad-free

Dragula

PostSubject: Re: Some concerns about safety with running a server.   Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:16 pm

Hyper wrote:
im not sure what your question is? port forwarding is used for almost any game server setup, and yeah, maybe if someone is actively trying to hack you it may be easier, but that seems unrealistic unless you have people after you, lol. and the adfly links arent being added by people, theyre automatically added by forumotion unless you pay to have it ad-free

My question was pretty much if it is safe to have a server. I guess if we're talking about a public server, the chances of being hacked and stuff would be higher, but in my case it's going to be a small, private server. So I guess that does provide some safety. However, I am worried that the action of port forwarding is going to make it easier for people to hack me. Hackers don't always -need- to be after you. They hunt down random people to steal their bank info, or make their computer a part of a botnet. And I am very paranoid about those thins. I guess I would just like to know if I'm safe to run a private server at all.

I also heard that apparently I need to make my IP static? That in itself makes me feel uncomfortable. Dynamic IPs provide much more safety than a static one. Is there a way to run a server where people can join and have a dynamic IP instead?

About ad.fly, I see. That is pretty shady of forumotion, honestly. There are a bunch of awesome free things I would love to download for my server, but I honestly would rather have an empty server than get infected. Pretty sad though.
Back to top Go down
Hyper
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some concerns about safety with running a server.   Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:21 pm

ive never ever heard of anyone being hacked after portforwarding with any game, much less an IT server. you honestly just sound way too paranoid

the game uses your ip to connect to the server, so yes its ideal that your ip is static. you can have a dynamic ip using websites like no ip but youll have to change your ip on the website every time it changes

Dragula

PostSubject: Re: Some concerns about safety with running a server.   Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:10 pm

Hyper wrote:
ive never ever heard of anyone being hacked after portforwarding with any game, much less an IT server. you honestly just sound way too paranoid

the game uses your ip to connect to the server, so yes its ideal that your ip is static. you can have a dynamic ip using websites like no ip but youll have to change your ip on the website every time it changes

I am in fact very paranoid when it comes to these things. I just don't want to make it easier for malevolent people to harm my laptop or the server itself.

I see. That sounds like a lot of work. Do you think having a static IP is safe, though? If it is, I would consider it. But I have heard that most ISPs provide dynamic IP for better safety.

I guess the only other option would be to find a host, then. But I'm not really sure I could afford it paying something monthly to host. Hmm....

I'm sorry for sounding so nitpicky. I really love IT, and would like to have my own little world. But I don't want to put myself in harm's way in the meantime. Even if there's just a teeny tiny chance of that happening.
Back to top Go down
Hyper
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some concerns about safety with running a server.   Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:12 pm

ive had the same ip for years and never had a single problem. i dont see why it would be unsafe

Dragula

PostSubject: Re: Some concerns about safety with running a server.   Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:31 pm

Hyper wrote:
ive had the same ip for years and never had a single problem. i dont see why it would be unsafe

I see. Again, sorry for being so annoying about this. I just like to make sure that I'm not getting myself into bad territory. I will give it a thought. As for the adfly stuff, I guess there is no way around it. I will probably be looking to deviantart to find some free downloadable content. Thank you for being helpful Hyper. c:
Back to top Go down
Hyper
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Some concerns about safety with running a server.   Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:35 pm

yeah, ive never really heard of any problems regarding portforwarding or ips with kito. its usually pretty lowkey, especially if youre doing a private server

Lamina

Game username : Lamina
Server : GuardiansFate (WIP)
Female Posts : 52

PostSubject: Re: Some concerns about safety with running a server.   Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:54 am

Well first off, if you wanted to be really that save against hacking and all the like, then not to use the internet at all is the option. Or no plugging in of foreign USB sticks, no using of other networks etc.
Because already if you connect normally to https://www.google.com , a port needs to be opened on your computer so a connection from you to the internet can be established. Another port needs to be opened, if you visit a HTTP website, another port for your Windows Updates, another for Skype and it all adds up like this. If you download stuff from the internet or visit pages, you are never 100% save either. Even if you have an anti-virus program actively running on your PC, it will not detect all Viruses, Trojans and harmful software or content. But fortunately, you will most of the time notice, if you computer has become a victim of a hacking attack and you are able to reset your PC. And to get your PC infected doesn't happen that easily either. Unless you either have really no clue, what are you clicking at on the internet or you are looking up some illegal content.

As for my case, I had to go trough a lot of trouble and a lot of total resets of my computer in the past but gained a lot of experience thanks to this. And most of the case it was because I clicked on some advertisements, which turned out to activate a background program and installed some harmful software. But I fixed it most of the times without a complete reset of my computer and without any loss of my personal data and files.
Nowadays, I use Windows Defender as my anti-virus program on my personal computer and haven't had any trouble for years. Because I now know, what is harmful and how to operate in the internet.

So related to your concerns, and like Hyper already said, it really is really lowkey, that someone might hack you because you have a static IP and two open ports. There are already so many ports open by default on your device and so many background connections established, that you can't really see trough either. So it really makes no big difference, if you host a server or not.

Mostly, hosters use a separate laptop, an old one that they don't use anymore, that they can run 24 hours 7 days a week. I'm a hoster myself and operate a server with a static IP and lots of open ports and literally never had problems with it that it was hacked or so. But I mean, if you wanted to get really paranoid, you could always set up a virtual box for hosting if you use no separate computer for hosting and have it running 24/7

So now, that I don't spam KITO even more, I stop here. And if you wanted some tips and tricks on how you can get your personal Data in safety or want to know stuff in detail or have any questions you can always contact me on Discord under Lamina#1516 .
Back to top Go down
RedEye
Retired

Game username : -redeye-
Server : KITO
Male Posts : 2589

PostSubject: Re: Some concerns about safety with running a server.   Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:09 pm

Dragula wrote:
About ad.fly, I see. That is pretty shady of forumotion, honestly. There are a bunch of awesome free things I would love to download for my server, but I honestly would rather have an empty server than get infected. Pretty sad though.

ad.fly is done by forumotion, not any artist or otherwise

PostSubject: Re: Some concerns about safety with running a server.   

Back to top Go down

Some concerns about safety with running a server.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeping I.T. Open :: SUPPORT :: Support-
Jump to: